There are so many ways to promote literacy and develop skills in our preschool age kiddos. I am going to list different ideas, activities, and resources below:
- Read Aloud
- Read a book out loud. Start with a picture walk, predict what the story is about, pause to ask questions, wonder out loud, etc.
- Letter Awareness
- Sight Words
- Shared Reading
- Journaling– expect:
- maybe labeling
- sounding out words with/ without help
- a couple of “words”
- you can ask a question, or let child pick from different topics likes this set from The Measured Mom.
- Phonological Awareness
- Rhyming words- ending sounds ex: cat, bat, hat -at
- Find words with same beginning sound, or which one of three doesn’t have the same sound. Ex: bat, book, tree
These are only a couple of the MANY ways to work on literacy with your little ones. Hope this helps you out!